and how I could create them in cake form.
(What, you don't do that?)
My mind wandered to chocolate covered cherries...
because I really, really love them...
then inspiration hit me!
I realized if I made my Maraschino Cherry Cake and covered it in chocolate,
it would taste like a giant chocolate covered cherry!
Fabulous idea, don't you think??
This cake is full of maraschino cherry chunks, covered with whipped chocolate ganache
and topped with homemade chocolate covered cherries.
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract
- 10 oz. bottle of maraschino cherries - reserve the juice and cut the cherries in eighths
- 2 tablespoons flour for sprinkling over diced cherries
- 1 (12 oz.) package mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of three 6 inch cake pans (or two 8 inch) with wax paper. Grease the sides.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Beat in the egg whites. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. In another bowl, combine the sour cream, cherry extract and reserved maraschino cherry juice. Alternate adding the dry and wet mixtures to the butter/sugar/eggs until combined.
In a small bowl, sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of flour over the diced cherries and stir until the flour has been completely absorbed. Stir the cherries into the batter.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from pans and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Microwave chocolate chips and whipping cream in a microwave-safe bowl on medium power, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate begins to melt. Whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Whisk in butter; let stand 20 minutes. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer 3 to 4 minutes or until ganache forms soft peaks. Spread on cooled cake.
Powered by Recipage
How to make Chocolate Covered Cherries
- Drain maraschino cherries with stems and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave.
- Dip the cherries in the melted chocolate, then place on wax paper to harden.
- Arrange on top of your cake immediately after spreading the whipped ganache.
This cake would be a showstopper at any holiday party or family gathering!
I share my recipes & tutorials at these fun link parties.
This post was featured!